Tuesday, October 03, 2006

 

I don't do reviews but...

John Fowles may be the best writer ever! People will dispute this and I’m one of them (Steinbeck and Orwell would probably be in the running and I rather like Ms. Atwood) but I did say “may be” so feel I’m on safe ground.

The reason for this little outburst which is clearly way more than my usual (X/10) or percentage rating is I’ve just read The Collector and although I’m not going to admit I was scared… it really was one of the creepiest (and best) things I’ve read in a long time.

Just to ruin it for you… a socially inept loser wins the pools, kidnaps foxy young lady from his neighbourhood and keeps her in his cellar. Even though he doesn’t really do anything to her it really makes your skin crawl. Just knowing where the story could and probably will lead really isn’t nice but it'd be impossible to stop yourself finding out if you were right.

In the first half of the book the kidnapper tells his side of the story and the thought processes he justifies his actions with, then you get it from the girl’s perspective before finding out both their fates. I’m told it was made into a rather good film but forget about that, buy and read the book and do have nightmares!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?